Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Part of the Process {Finding Role Models}

I promise, this isn't a rant post. 

I was going through some folders at work today. I am the kind of person who scribbles notes all over the place. I have post-its and pads, pieces of scratch paper, envelopes I've jotted stuff on the back of. My dad does that. It used to infuriate me to find his notes scribbled on the back of my things, but now I get his methodology. Anyway, I found notes from a staff meeting back in April and stuck to that page of notes were four or five stickies. The top-most sticky was a list of names. Robyn Lawley. Tara Lynn. Emme Aronson. Lizzie Miller. Chloe Marshall. If you have done any research regarding plus-size fashion or payed attention at all to what is happening in the world, you will recognize some of these names. If you don't, these women are some of the most famous models and icons for the plus-size fashion industry. 

I consider my self-esteem a continuous work in progress, a project. Anyone who has started a project from a place of ignorance knows the first step is finding some great examples of a similar finished product. My examples are the women above. I don't know how you feel about plus-size models. Some people think they are too large for mainstream advertising. Some people think they aren't diverse enough in size to actually represent the demographic they are charged with speaking for. I, however, think they are the first step in a long pilgrimage for large women, women in general, and society as a whole. But that is another story.

These women are my role models. You may be thinking "Of all the women in the world, this girl thinks plus-size models are worthy of that title?" But let me finish. Yeah, these women represent an industry centered around consumerism. Yeah, sometimes models and fashion and advertising can all seem a little trivial. In the grand scheme of things, what does fashion really contribute to the betterment of society? But when you judge these women solely on the job they do with their physical bodies, you are diminishing their vision, their cunning, and their determination. They are an inspiration to any woman who has ever felt she is worth less than the value of a thinner woman. Or any woman who has agonized over losing 20 pounds just to feel better about herself. These women have a score of accomplishments that speak on their qualifications and their commitment to the bigger picture. Robyn Lawley was the first plus-size model to be shot for Australian Vogue. She was also the first plus-size model to appear in a campaign with Ralph Lauren. Chloe Marshall was runner up for Miss England in 2008. Lizzie Miller was that gorgeous doughy belly featured in Glamour. 

So. The moral of this story? If you are just beginning this journey toward self-love and acceptance, find some role models. Let the wisdom from their experiences be your template. Don't strive to be them, but allow them to inspire your best finished product. 

2 comments:

  1. Fierce female role models are a must and should be all of our inspirations regardless of any physical attribute. And I am guessing you meant bigger picture...not trying to call out an easy error, but as a writer it jumped out and called my name. Nice piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. I made two mistakes in that sentence, actually. I majored in English in college, but proof-reading was always my weakest area (next to grammar, of course). And you're right about role models regardless of what journey you are on. My mom's ultimate role model is Eleanor Roosevelt. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Thanks for commenting!

01 09 10